There are a few words in wedding lingo that are often misspelled or misused, and I thought I’d share them with you so you’re in the know!
Altar versus Alter
- You get married at an ALTAR.
- But before you tie the knot, you’ll need to ALTER your dress.
Stationery versus Stationary
- When it is time to order your wedding STATIONERY, just remember that this type of stationery has an “E” (ery) — think E for envelopes.
- When something doesn’t move, it is STATIONARY, with an “A”.
Complimentary versus Complementary
- On your wedding day, your guests will be very COMPLIMENTARY of your appearance, etc — full of nice things to say!
- With the word COMPLEMENTARY, think of it as it relates to colors that go well together. Webster.com defines it as follows: relating to or constituting one of a pair of contrasting colors that produce a neutral color when combined in suitable proportions